Saturday, October 20, 2012

Have I lost my Mind? Part II

It's common knowledge that Southerners wave at those they pass on the highway. My wife used to ask me, "Who was that?"

 "I don't know".

"Then why'd you wave?"

We do it without thinking. It's just part of the Southern culture. I've noticed tho, that we usually  do this more when driving through rural areas and small towns. You don't see people waving at random strangers in downtown Atlanta, for instance.

The conventional wisdom is that people outside the South wonder if you've lost your mind if you wave at strangers. I remember when I was a young child my Dad unthinkingly waved at some guy on a motorcycle in Lancaster, PA. He was rewarded with a middle finger salute. So I was warned before moving to Indiana that I would need to change my ways.

I'm sorry, I cant't help it. I just wave when I drive. Or if I'm just a passenger. I even wave at the Amish family riding by in their buggy. I'm so pleased when they wave back! I've even had people wave at me first! You can imagine my pleasure when that happens!

So, have I managed, by the sheer magnitude of my personality, to change the culture in Northwestern Indiana? I wish I could say that. It would be wonderful to have that kind of influence wouldn't it? I think the correct answer is that conventional wisdom is wrong. Sure, you go riding through downtown Goshen waving at everybody and you're gonna get some strange looks. You might even have someone wave back with an extended middle finger. But, out in the country-side, people occasionally wave at those they pass or someone driving by. It makes me smile and feel at home, especially when the wave is initiated by the other person. Yeah, I know, sometimes it's because they mistake me for someone else, but I'll take it!

There really are a lot of friendly people around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment